Why Plastic is Better Than Fiberglass
Envirolet® Composting Toilets System bodies and the Waterless Toilet body are made of durable polyethylene plastic. Some other compost toilet units out there are made from fiberglass.
Plastic offers many advantages over fiberglass. This why we switched our only fiberglass part (the old style waterless toilet) to plastic in 2000.
Why we manufacture with plastic:
• While not perfect, plastic is more environment-friendly than fiberglass.
• Plastic can be recycled. Any scrap material produced manufacturing is ground up and re-used. This saves material and money.
• Plastic is durable. Envirolet® is often installed in some harsh conditions so it needs to stand up to the elements. That is why there are still systems that have been in the field for well over 20 years. It is also why we offer a Lifetime Warranty on the body of the composting unit. We are confident it will not break in any element, including sub-zero temperatures.
• With plastic we are able to keep up with demand. When we manufactured with fiberglass (the waterless toilet pre-2000), we had trouble keeping up because fiberglass is a much slower process.
• Unlike fiberglass, plastic will not scratch or irriate skin upon contact. This refers to the inside, unfinished surface, or edges.
• Plastic is a much safer material to produce for both the environment and workers. If you have ever been to a fiberglass facility you will know what we mean.
• Plastic is odour-free, unlike fiberglass, which can have that “fiberglass smell” for some time.
• We can offer more unique colours in plastic.